The right domain name... a great website... what more could you need?
Whether you have an established domain name or you’re still in the planning stages, purchasing multiple domains can help ensure that people looking for your website find you. Here are five reasons to consider registering more than one domain name:
Several factors can play into the decision to buy more than one domain name. Do any of these apply to you?
1. The risk of typosIf your domain contains any uncommon or unique words, it’s possible that people will either mistype it or not know how to spell it. In this case, it’s a good idea to purchase the domain names that cover likely misspellings of your name, so that you can automatically forward people who accidently make a typo when entering your URL to your correct domain.
2. Look-alike or sound-alike namesIf a competitor sets up a similar-sounding domain name and website, your potential customers might be tricked into visiting that site instead of yours. To prevent this, consider purchasing potential “copycats” of your domain name.
3. Name changeIf your brand or business used to have a different name, it’s a good idea to purchase the old name as well as the new name to make sure everyone can find you. Or, if you want to change your company name, you should buy and host the website on the new domain name, and set up the old domain name to forward to the new one.
4. Descriptive nameDifferent people might think of your brand or website in different ways, and not always by its official name. Depending on what services you provide or products you sell, you may want to register a domain name that describes your business alongside the business name itself. This is especially true if your business name is not yet established, or if it has a distinctive quality or location that doesn’t align with the name. You can also use a more descriptive domain name to point to a particular page on your site like a blog or order page.
5. New TLDsDomain endings or TLDs like .plumbing and .photography, present a great opportunity for you to register a memorable and unique domain name. If you already have a traditional domain ending like .com or .net, purchasing a domain with a different TLD alongside it may allow you to stand out from the crowd and highlight a specific focus of your brand. Visit our TLD page to view all the domain endings we have available.
With most registrars, it’s easy to forward multiple domains to your website so you can simply create one site and then redirect visitors who type one of your other domain names to that one website. Google Domains offers simple web forwarding that lets you redirect any of your domains to your main website, or even to specific pages within your site, such as an order page, support page, or image gallery.
Ready to find additional domain names? Visit Google Domains now to search for names that perfectly complement your existing domain.